The Department of Agriculral Extension & Rural Sociology
The Department which was started in the 2016/2017 academic year under the Faculty of Agriculture, now offers full degree and two post degree programmes. The degree programmes consist of B.A. The post-degree programmes are the Master of Science (MSc) in Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology. The mission of the Department is to provide students with qualitative education and training that shall facilitate their successful negotiation of the various bends in life. While the training needs of the extension profession reside with the relevant curriculum, the practical aspects evolve from membership of a professional body. Students are, therefore, encouraged to imbibe this culture, even in the University, by belonging to the Nigeria Agricultural Society Students (NASS), Agricultural Extension Students (AES) and Agricultural Extension Society of Nigeria (AESON), and also abiding by the provisions of its constitution and emerging legislations.
The Department is staffed with full time faculty members who have excelled in both the academia and the industry. This has manifested in the high calibre of our graduates. The Department is highly determined, and fully prepared, to maintain these standards. You are welcome to the Department of Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology.
Faculty of Agriculture became a full-fledged faculty in 2005/2006 academic session with four Departments namely, Agricultural Economics and Extension, Animal Science, Crop Science and Soil Science. In August, 2014, the Faculty saw the need for growth and expansion as in other Faculties in the University.
Seven new Departments proposed and approved were Crop Protection, Forestry and Bio-resources and Horticulture and Landscaping, Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology; Food Science and Technology; Fisheries, Aquaculture and Wildlife (see attached Decision Extracts from the Senate). Out of these approved Departments, Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology took off in January 2017. Today, the Department runs a Bachelor degree as well as post graduate programmes in Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology.
- Advance frontiers of learning and break new grounds in agricultural extension practices through teaching, research and hands-on dissemination of high quality knowledge;
- Produce high level human capital with the right attitude capable of meeting both present and future challenges concerning extension services,delivery, learning and teaching processes within the Federal Capital Territory and neighbouring States in the guinea savannah agro-ecology.
- Improve sustainable agricultural productivity and expansion outreach to farmers in Nigeria and sub-Sahara Africa at large.
The objectives of setting up the Department of Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology are:
- To produce graduates with sufficient technical and productive skills sufficient for extension services and information dissemination
- To produce graduates that are capable of, extension delivery, , extension teaching and learning process.
- To effectively contribute to national development goals in agriculture in general, and agricultural extension in particular.
- To introduce graduates to existing stakeholders in all of the above-named disciplines